MIXED MEDIA - COLLAGE - CRAFTS WITH MY KIDS - THE ARTISTIC MOTHER ART GROUP

Monday, November 29, 2010

Artistic Mother Altered Story Book, Week Seven

I made the altered story book from Week 7 of The Artistic Mother by Shona Cole using a baby board book, gesso, stamps, oil pastels and photographs. The book features my two year old son Matthew. I chose pictures of him doing his favorite activities and used fun little stamps of animals and other things I thought he would enjoy. I will be giving him this book as a Christmas gift. I'm sure he will be so excited to have a book all about himself.

The next project we will be doing in The Artistic Mother Art Group is canvas art from Week 8 of The Artistic Mother by Shona Cole. It is similar to a scrapbook page but for the wall. I am looking forward to this project. It will be very pretty. We will be using painted papers, fibers, a portrait of our child and attaching decorative beads to the sides of the canvas.

The thing I love about the projects from this book is not only am I learning the discipline of adding art to my daily routine and learning new techniques, but they are keepsakes and precious reminders of my greatest treasures, my children. Each piece I make celebrates their life. The focus is on motherhood, which is the stage of life I am in currently. So while I am working, I am also reflecting on my mothering and the uniqueness of each of my children, their special talents and abilities and how much I appreciate them. I also think a lot about how I can better be there for them and guide through their journey through life. It helps me to keep a better balance, to grow as a person and mother and to do something each day for myself as well as for my family. I also enjoy the fact that I am tapping into my creative side and that my life is not just about the mundane everyday tasks of errands and household chores.

My next task will be to paint more background papers and choose the child's photo I will be using for this next project.

I took photos of each page of this sweet little book. I hope you enjoy them and the little story that goes along with it. And be sure and let me know when you post your Artistic Mother art projects so that I can come by and take a look.

Click on the picture to enlarge it if you would like a close-up view.













40 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I saw the tutorial a while back and have yet to try it myself. Yours turned out so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trudy! This is just darling! Oh!! You did such a great job! I'm so proud of you and I bet Shona is too. So you have been busy I see. :o)

    Precious photos too!

    Love,
    Donna @ Comin' Home

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great job Trudy. Matthew will make you read it over and over for him and then when he is much older he will be glad you took the time to record his young life. I love how chunky the book is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great book Trudy..love the summery colours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful....so many pages too....my kids are too old for this sort of book, but will do it when grandkids come along one day...lol...xxxbtw...look how big he is now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute!
    Your little boy will treasure this book and how wonderful it will be for him to share with his own children one day.
    Amy and I are both coming to the get together!
    I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gasp!!
    I LOVE it!!!! I love the blue and the orange and the stamping (and of course he is SUCH a cutie!!!) and I love that you are going to give it as a present - how special - and I may copy you and do the same for K!
    Thanks for the inspiration and beauty, xoox

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous book! what a keepsake itwill be for your son!
    I have the books -now I just have to alter them. I want to do one of my Mom and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Trudy - this is seriously cute! I wanted so badly to hold it yesterday and get a good look at it. I love it - right down to the stamped edges! Okay, question - Rayanne posted on my blog and her info is not available to me (most likely I'm too dumb to be able to figure out how to get to her.) I wanted to respond to her comment, but couldn't. ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, Trudy!! This is beautiful! I am so inspired and excited to start this project! What a wonderful gift to give!! I am seriously thinking about doing the same!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love this & what a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Trudy! No, I did not make the little snowman - Homegoods did! I wish I could claim it as my own, but I have yet to try that kind of art . . . I hope you're having a wonderful holiday weekend, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO CUTE!!!!!! Thank you for the nice comment you left on my blog!! (;
    Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow so darling. It's a real treasure. Perfect!! Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Trudy you have a smart blog..cute stuff..waoooooo...best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Trudy, just thinking about you and your family and wanted to say 'Hi'! Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. I've kinda been slack in blogging over the holidays, but the creativity is flowing! I've missed your posts, and hope all is well. I still have that petrified wood piece in my purse...I put it there so that I'd have it with me when I saw you at the blogger meet up. I was so bummed to not be able to make it. My whole family ended up getting sick, with Gabriel (my oldest) ending up needing a visit to the ER in the middle of the night. It was a good thing we didn't come, b/c my mom would've gotten very sick. And thankfully we all got better and saw her in Kerrville with my grandparents. Sure hope to see you and Marty soon...we miss y'all! Hugs and love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  17. miss you here in your blog spot! Come back soon!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is an adorable little journal...thanks for visiting my blog and your lovely comments....x

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful altered book that your son will treasure for many years! I found your blog through the Never Growing Old site. I plan on browsing through your blog some more. Thanks for sharing your wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Mama!
    I was just thinking of you and hoping you are well. Much love to you and yours, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your book is wonderful!
    Blessings, peace, and love!
    Tonya

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Trudy,
    This is a lovely book and one I'm sure your grandson will treasure, hope he liked it.
    Helen x
    http://acraftykindoftruffle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, Rumtruffle, for the compliments of the book. No offense taken; but I would like to make a correction, that he is my son, not my grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Trudy,
    So sorry! I did think you looked very young to be a Grandma but it does happen, clearly my brain is not in gear!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Trudy hopped over from never growing old!!! I love this post. It is beautiful! I love the picture at the top in your blog header! Have a wrm weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi! I'm new here - came over from Friday Follow 40 & Over. I'd like to be your latest follower, but all I see is the word Followers, and nothing else. Guess I'll come back later to see if its popped up yet. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Xmas Dolly, thank you for visiting my art blog and wishing to follow. Because the follow box does not always pop up, I have left instructions on how to follow at the top sidebar of my blog. It explains about copying the url and doing it from your dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is adorable! Quite a treasure - I have home schooled my children- nearly done with the last - it has been quite a blessing over the years - love to create with them - I know you'll have many wonderful memories to treasure,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  29. hi trudy...hope you get this message...just hoping everything is going well over your way...haven't seen you for a while in blogland, just me getting a little worried....
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails